Copperfield Press is excited to announce that it will be opening to submissions once again on June 21, 2021.
Thank you for your interest in Copperfield Press. We are an independent publisher seeking the very best in historical fiction. We respectfully request that authors and agents read and follow all guidelines prior to submitting.
If you’d like to contact us with questions or comments, please reach us through the Contact button above. Questions that can be answered by reading our guidelines are not likely to receive a response.
- Historical novels must be no longer than 100,000 words.
- We will accept submissions of historical novellas up to 40,000 words.
- If your novel is historical fiction, we will consider it. Whether it’s YA, mystery, thriller, romantic, wartime, paranormal, literary, or any other sub-genre we will consider it as long as it’s historical fiction. We may consider manuscripts with half-present/half-past storylines if we’re intrigued enough by the story.
- We accept submissions of historical fiction in all time periods and from all places, from the earliest human history up to the 1970s. Do not query us asking if you can submit something from 1992. The answer will be no.
- What we don’t accept: alternate history, erotic romance, or any story that features violence toward animals, children, or any other human being (unless it’s within the context of war, and even then we may be hard to convince). We are not interested in books that promote hatred in any way, shape, or form.
- We are only interested in completed manuscripts. If your novel isn’t finished yet, don’t query us.
- Authors may submit one (1) historical novel at a time. If we have passed on your previous submission, you may submit a different novel, but give it some time, by which we mean wait at least three months. DO NOT resend a manuscript we have already passed on even if you’ve made changes.
- We are only accepting submissions of historical novels. Submissions of other genres, poetry, or nonfiction will be deleted unread. We are not accepting submissions of short stories at Copperfield Press. If your short story is historical fiction, see the Copperfield Review.
- While your work is under consideration at Copperfield Press, we ask that you let us know immediately if your work has been accepted elsewhere.
- Due to the high volume of submissions we receive, responses can take up to three to four months. If it is past the four-month timeline, then a brief contact requesting an update is acceptable. If four months have not yet passed then your query is not likely to receive a response.
- Due to the high volume of submissions we receive, we do not respond to queries regarding whether or not we received your submissions. If you submitted the required documents to the correct email address and put the correct heading in the subject line of your email then we received it.
- Do not query to ask if we will accept something other than what is stated in our guidelines.The answer will be no.
Attach the below documents as word documents to an email addressed to submitcopperfield(at)gmail(dot)com. The subject line of your email must state Copperfield Press Submission. Make sure your name, email address, and the title of your book are clearly visible in your query letter.
1. A query letter stating the historical period of your novel, word count, one paragraph synopsis, and author bio. Your query letter should be in the body of your email.
2. A more detailed synopsis including the ending of the story. You must include the ending.
3. Chapter by chapter outline.
4. The first three chapters of the novel (they must be the first three chapters).
5. Author’s marketing plan.
We do not provide tutorials on how to create a marketing plan. Information about marketing plans can be found online. If your submission does not include a marketing plan it will not be considered for publication.
Here are a few things you need to know about working with Copperfield Press:
- While agented submissions are welcome, authors are free to submit for themselves.
- We do not provide advances. If this is a deal-breaker for you, then do not submit your work to Copperfield Press.
- Our ebooks are available in epub and mobi ebook files, and they are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, iTunes, and Kobo. Our paperbacks are available at online retailers worldwide, including Amazon.
- We will take responsibility for cover creation and interior design for both paperbacks and ebooks.
- We understand that authors are eager to be published; however, you need to make sure your manuscript is as well written as it can possibly be prior to submitting. We are open to both new and experienced authors, but you must make sure your manuscript has strong dialogue, a balance to showing and telling, intriguing characters, and some insight into the historical period you’re writing about. Make sure your manuscript is polished and edited. If we see a manuscript with many spelling and grammar mistakes, we will reject the piece regardless of the story. Details are important. Really.
- If you’re not sure if your manuscript is ready for publication, have others read it for you. Whether they’re family members, beta readers, fellow writers from a critique group, another set of eyes may help you to spot weaknesses in your story that need to be revised prior to submitting.
We are looking forward to reading your work.